Home > Business Insurance > Commercial Flood Insurance

Montana Commercial Flood Insurance 

Most Montana home owners do not realize flood losses are not covered by your MT Commercial Property insurance policy. It is a common misconception that Montana Commercial Property insurance covers damages that arise from a flood (flowing water).

Why might you need Montana Flood Insurance? Every year Montana floods damage homes and property. Most of the damage happens within the Montana flood zones. However just because your home is not in an Montana flood zone, does that mean you safe and will never need Montana flood insurance. Here is the official website to see if your home is in an Montana Commercial Flood Zone.

National Commercial Flood Insurance

Congress established the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in 1968 as a way to provide protection to consumers. While we will issue your Montana Commercial flood insurance policy for you, all Montana flood policies are written through the NFIP.

The following statistics are provided by F.E.M.A.

Your Commercial Property has a 26% chance of being damaged by a flood during the course of a 30-year mortgage, compared to a 9% chance of fire. About 25% of all flood claims are for policies in low- to moderate-risk communities. Since 1978, over $31 billion for flood insurance claims and related costs have been paid.

Over 5 million people currently hold flood insurance policies in more than 20,000 communities across the U.S.

A "flood" as described by the NFIP is simply the collection of excess water on land that is normally dry.

Who Needs Montana Commercial Flood Insurance

You don't have to live near a river or ocean to be at risk for a flood. In Montana most types of floods occurs from a flash flood, which can strike anywhere at any time when a large volume of rain falls within a short time. Even a couple inches of rain can cause your Commercial Property to suffer flood damage.

A standard Montana flood policy will cover structural damage, furnace, water heater and air conditioner, flood debris clean up, and floor surfaces. You can also buy added coverage for furniture and other personal property.

If you live in an area considered a high-risk area and you have an Montana mortgage that is secured by the federal government, federal law requires you to purchase Montana flood insurance. Typically, your Montana mortgage company will inform you during the closing process or your Montana real estate agent during the purchase process if your Commercial Property is in a Montana flood zone.

Montana Commercial Flood Insurance Coverage

An Montana homeowner can get coverage on their Montana Commercial flood insurance for up to $250,000 and contents for $100,000. A renter can cover their belongings up to $100,000.